Our professional trademark attorney in Ecuador will prepare and file your trademark for registration in the country. Ecuador is a "first to file" country, therefore, a trademark must be registered locally to be protected. Prior use of a trademark is not required however, the use increases the probability to overcome possible objections. Combined trademarks (trademarks containing both logo and wordmark) can be filed in one application.
When you register your trade mark, you’ll be able to:
1. Take legal action against anyone who uses your brand without your permission, including counterfeiters
2. Put the ® symbol next to your brand - to show that it’s yours and warn others against using it
3. Sell and license your brand
Ecuador Trademark Services
We offer the following services in Ecuador:
- Trademark Search (wordmarks only)
- Trademark Registration
- Trademark renewal
- Trademark oppositions
- Defenses in case of oppositions or objections/office actions in Ecuador
- Trademark assignment
- Change of name/Change of Address
If you are interested in any of these services, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Trademark registration in Ecuador: Requirements
Fill out our simple online form in just 5 minutes and a Trademark Specialist will contact you within 24 hours in order to guide you through the process.
Trademark registration: Procedure
Our attorney will file your trademark within 5 business days after receiving all the required documents.
- Once Bonamark files the trademark, the IEPI (the Trademark Office of Ecuador) publishes an extract of the application in the Ecuadorian IP Gazette
- After the publication, there are 30 days for any third party to present opposition to the application
- If no opposition is filed the National authority will examine the register to find similar trademarks
- Finally, the IEPI issues a resolution granting or denying the registration
Trademark registration: Duration
A trademark registration is valid for 10 years starting from the registration date. If a trademark is not in use during 3 consequent years, it becomes vulnerable to cancellations. Ecuador is a member of Andean Pact and the trademark may be used in any of the countries of the Pact (Bolivia, Colombia or Peru) to complete this requirement.
In Ecuador, the final registration fees are included in the price of a registration request. The price includes everything for a straightforward process of registration. The prices do not include any legal defenses in case of oppositions or objections.