Name of Office: General Administration of Trademarks
Address: Ministry of Commerce and Industry Riyadh 11162
Phone number: (966 11) 294 47 80
The Trademark Office applies the current version of the Nice Classification, you can find acceptable goods and services in this link. Our professional trademark attorney in Saudi Arabia will prepare and file your trademark for registration in the country.
You obtain your trademark protection by registration in Saudi Arabia. Though, protection can also be acquired by sufficient public recognition.
Extensive Search & Study
We offer a free trademark search request, which targets identical trademarks - trademark lookup - online on this very page. There is no online database open to the public and our attorney will search for identical brands in Saudi Arabia for you. We will provide you with a list of identical trademarks within a business day.
If you require a more detailed trademark search in Saudi Arabia, request our Extensive Study.
Our experienced attorney will perform a comprehensive search to determine any potentially conflicting brands in Saudi Arabia.
Trademark Registration in Saudi Arabia
When you register your trademark, you’ll be able to:
1. Take legal action against anyone who uses your brand without your permission, including counterfeiters.
2. Put the ® symbol next to your brand to show that it’s yours and warn others against using it.
3. Sell and license your brand. Saudi Arabia is a member of WIPO since 1982.
However, Saudi Arabia is not a member of the Madrid Protocol. With 7.400 trademark applications filed by residents, 10.800 are filed by foreign applicants, and 4.000 are filed abroad. You can access additional information regarding IP statistics in Saudi Arabia here.
Fill out our simple online form in just 5 minutes and a Trademark Specialist will contact you within 24 hours in order to guide you through the process.
A separate application has to be filed for each class. Note that no trademark protection can be achieved for alcoholic goods in class 33 and alcoholic beer in class 32, Christmas trees and related products in class 28, pork meat in class 29, as well as related retail services in class 35.
What is registrable as a trademark?
Names, words, signatures, letters, figures, drawings, logos, titles, hallmarks, seals, pictures, engravings, packs or any other mark or group of marks. The voice or odor shall be considered as part of the trademark.
What will be required to file your brand in Saudi Arabia?
- Type of the applicant: individual or a company.
- Complete name of the owner.
- Full address of the owner.
- Phone number - to contact you in case if any action is required.
- Mailing address - to forward you the certificate once the trademark is registered.
- List of goods/services.
- Class or classes.
- Trademark itself.
- Power of attorney (legalized).
- Chinese applicants need to provide a special power of attorney legalized at the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Registration Procedure & Requirements
Our attorney will file your trademark within 5 business days after receiving all the required documents. The whole registration process takes 3-5 months. The application process includes a formal examination, an examination of distinctiveness and a search for prior trademarks. The first office action is taken after approx. one week.
The opposition period is 60 days from publication date of the application in the Official Gazette, non-extendable.
The trademark application is published on the website of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MOCI). Trademark registration certificates are issued electronically.
Duration: How Long Will it Take?
A trademark registration is valid for 10 years according to the Islamic calendar (approximately 9 years and 8 months according to the Gregorian calendar) as from the filing date.
The registration is renewable for periods of 10 years (9 years and 8 months).
Use of a trademark is not required for registration or renewal of a mark. However, a trademark may be cancelled by any interested party if no effective use of the mark proved for a period of 5 years.
Fees: How Much Will it Cost?
The official fee for filing a trademark application is SAR 1,000. The e-publication fee is SAR 3,000 for foreign companies and SAR 1,500 for local companies. The registration fee is SAR 5,000.
What is the price to register a trademark in Saudi Arabia?
- Trademark Search in one class (wordmark or logo): 159 USD
- Additional class: 109 USD
- Trademark Search in one class (wordmark + logo): 189 USD
- Additional class: 109 USD
- Trademark Registration Request in one class: 1399 USD
- Additional class: 1399 USD
- Registration fees in one class: 1699 USD
- Additional class: 1699 USD
Our fees include the official fees and the legal fees.
If you are interested in any of these services, please do not hesitate to contact us.