Official Trademark Office in Thailand
- Trademark Office: Department of Intellectual Property (DIP), Ministry of Commerce
- Address: 563 Nonthaburi Road, Bangkrasor Muang, Nonthaburi 11000, Thailand
- Office applies the current version of the Nice Classification, you can find acceptable goods and services in this link.
Our professional trademark attorney in Thailand will prepare and file your trademark for registration at the Trademark Office.
Please note that in the price of a registration request includes 5 items per class in the description. Each extra item is paid separately.
Thailand is a member of WIPO since 1989. Also, Thailand is a member of the Madrid Protocol since November 7, 2017.
With 30,000 trademark applications filed each year, only 18.000 are filed by foreign applicants, and 5.000 are filed abroad. It demonstrates the understanding of how important trademarks are for local businesses. You can access additional information regarding IP statistics in Thailand here.
Fill out our simple online form in just 5 minutes and a Trademark Specialist will contact you within 24 hours in order to guide you through the process.
Multiple-class applications are possible. However, it is not allowed to divide a multiple-class application into various single-class applications but the applicant is enabled to remove the certain class(es) of goods/services from the application.
What is registrable as a trademark in Thailand?
- combination of colors,
- shape or configuration of an object,
- any combination thereof.
What will be required to file your brand?
- Type of the applicant: individual or a company.
- Complete name of the owner.
- Full address of the owner.
- Phone number - to contact you in case if any action is required.
- Mailing address - to forward you the certificate once the trademark is registered.
- List of goods/services.
- Class or classes.
- Trademark itself.
- Power of attorney (notarised). We will provide you with a model of the document upon receiving your order.
- Additional documents might be required for local residents
A straightforward international trademark registration process takes 12-18 months. Our attorney will file your trademark within 7 business days, after receiving the required details and documents.
The application process includes a formal examination and an examination of distinctiveness.
Marks not considered distinctive in the examination can be registered if distinctiveness has been obtained by use.
Prior to registration, the trademark application is published in the “Trademarks Journal” for the opposition. The opposition period is 60 days from the publication date of the application.
Duration: How Long Will it Take?
A trademark registration is valid for 10 years from the application date. The registration is renewable for periods of 10 years.
In order to prevent the mark from becoming vulnerable to cancellations due to non-use. Any company or individual may submit a petition for cancellation based on non-use of a registered mark for a period of three years.
Use of a trademark in a form different from the trademark as registered may lead to cancellation.
It is necessary to renew the trademark 6 months before its expiration date. The procedure's duration is not regulated by law, so it is better to take care in advance.
In Thailand this can be done in 2 ways: apply to the local Trademark Office; file an international application under the Madrid System. In both cases, documents' translation into Thai is required. When renewal a trademark for several items, a part of irrelevant products can be removed from the list.
Fees: How Much Will it Cost?
The official fee for filing a trademark application is THB 1,000 per one item of up to five items and from the 6th item THB 9,000 per class. The official registration fee is THB 600 per item of up to five items and from the 6th item THB 5,400 per class. There is no publication fee.
Note, that our prices do not include any legal defenses in case of oppositions or objections.
Our fees (16th of November, 2017):
- Trademark Search in one class: 109 USD
- Additional class: 99 USD
- Trademark Registration Request in one class: 449 USD
- Additional class: 439 USD
- Registration fees in one class: 179 USD
- Additional class: 169 USD
We offer the following trademark services in Thailand:
- Thailand Trademark Search (wordmark only)
- Trademark Registration
- Trademark renewal
- Trademark oppositions - within 60 days from the date of publication
- Defenses in case of oppositions or objections/office actions in Thailand
- Trademark assignment
- Change of name/Change of Address
If you are interested in any of these services, please do not hesitate to contact us.