Registration process in 1 minute
Our price includes an unlimited list of products in 1 class, legal and government fees and responding to minor objections. The process takes 4-6 months and no additional documents are required to start the filing process. Any company/individual may own a trademark in the UK.
<h2>How to apply for a mark in the UK:</h2>
<p>1. <strong>Start with a Free TM Search</strong>. We will check if there are any obvious conflicts. You will know if it's worth moving forward with the mark.</p>
<p>2. <strong>Attorney's opinion</strong> (a.k.a. Study) In some cases we may recommend asking our attorney to review the case and prepare a detailed registration report. That's an optional non-obligatory service.</p>
<p>3. <strong>Request registration</strong>. The process is completely online and we'll request your mark within 3-5 days and you will get a filing confirmation.</p>
The UK is a member of the WIPO Madrid Protocol and the European Union. A registration provides protection for the trademark in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and automatically extends to the British Indian Ocean Territory, the Falkland Islands, and the Isle of Man.
Common law rights are difficult and expensive to enforce; therefore, it is advisable to register your brand in the United Kingdom. Brands are registered for periods of 10 years and the process in the UK is quite straightforward, only 20% of all applications are objected and most of the are overcome without any extra costs from applicants.
Please note, that a UK trademark can be used in the Amazon Brand Register on Amazon.co.uk
5 reasons to register your mark.
1. Do not let anyone register your brand and start using it as their own. When they own the brand, they can even sue you!
2. Prevent others from destroying your well-earned reputation.
3. Create a franchise and conquer foreign markets. Selling abroad is impossible without securing a trademark there first. Otherwise, it’s like leaving the door open for trouble.
4. Bring your business to a new level and make it more respectable. Owning an ® is a sign of success! What unites all Fortune 500 companies is that they all own a number of types of Intellectual Property. Trademarks are the very foundation of their success.
5. Protect your money from patent-trolls. There are a number of companies that want to steal your mark without any intention of using it and become a nuisance right when you think that things are going the right way.
You can register a trademark in the UK to protect your brand, e.g. the name of your product or service. The UK is a "first to use" country; however, we recommend registering your trademark to avoid any possible infringement of others' rights.
UK Trademark Registration Procedure, Requirements
- Name of the applicant
- Address of the applicant
- Description of products/services the applicant commercializes
- Name of the trademark or/and the logo
Trademark registration in the UK: Procedure
Our legal team will file your trademark within a day. You’ll get feedback on your application (an ‘examination report’) within 20 days - you have 2 months to resolve any problems. If the examiner has no objections your application will be published in the trade marks journal for 2 months, during which time anyone can oppose it. Your trade mark will be registered once any objections are resolved - you’ll get a certificate to confirm this.
Trademark registration in the UK: Duration
10 years starting from the registration date.
Trademark Registration Services in the UK
UK Trademark Registration Cost
The official fee for filing a trademark application in the UK is GBP 200 for one class and GBP 50 for each additional class. It's included in our listed price.
Applications made through the online application form (e-TM3), which include the full payment at the time of filing, will qualify for a discount of GBP 30 of the total cost
There is no official registration or publication fee
United Kingdom Trademark Office
Address: Concept House, Cardiff Rd, Duffryn, Newport NP10 8QQ
Telephone: +44 (0) 1633 814000
Outside UK 0300 300 2000 Enquiries