In Switzerland, logos and combined marks can be registered within 1-2 months as they are considered to be more "unique" compared to wordmarks. At the same time, wordmarks offer a broader scope of protection against similar marks.
We usually recommend applying for wordmarks as your first mark.
1. Fees and Application Details
☑️ Click here to learn about fees
TM in Switzerland: Fees and Details
1. You can get up to 3 classes for the listed price without any additional fee;
2. We'll upgrade your order to a free expedited processing if it qualifies. In this case it takes just 2-3 weeks until your mark is registered. Contact us for more details;
3. 550 CHF of the Swiss Government Fee is included in the price;
4. In any case, you can order an expedited processing which costs 200 CHF in government fees, no our fee will apply;
5. If not expedited, the process takes around 5-6 months from filing to registration (for a wordmark);
6. No Power of Attorney required;
7. Our success rate: 98/100. If you follow our advice Switzerland is a low-risk country, we rarely have problems with registering marks.
2. Why to get a trademark?
☑️ Click here to read about the benefits
Benefits of getting a trademark
Many foreign companies apply for trademarks in Switzerland in order to give their products an association with Switzerland and the famous Swiss quality. It's common to file a trademark in Switzerland in class 14 for jewelry as well as for watches. It is allowed to do so, but if an applicant uses the Swiss Cross as part of a trademark, the products must be produced in Switzerland.
1. Do not let anyone register your brand and start using it as their own. When they own the brand, they can even sue you
2. Prevent others from destroying your well-earned reputation and stealing your loyal-clients
3. Create a franchise and conquer foreign markets
4. Bring your business to a new level and make it more respectable. Owning an ® is a sign of success!
Switzerland Trademark registration: Requirements
Fill out our simple online form in just 5 minutes and a Trademark Specialist will contact you within 24 hours in order to guide you through the process. We require no documents to file a trademark in Switzerland, however, your list of products must be drafted in accordance with the requirements of the Trademark Office.
Our fee for a registration request in Switzerland includes filing in 3 classes; therefore, the extra fee applies to the fourth and consequent classes.
3. How to Apply?
☑️ Click to Read about the Procedure
Trademark registration: Procedure
Our attorney will file your trademark within 5 business days after receiving all the required documents. The language of the application will be Italian or German.
Trademark registration: Duration
A trademark registration is valid for 10 years starting from the filing date.
Switzerland Trademark Search
How To Order
- Leave a request on this page
- A Trademark Account Manager will contact you within 24 hours
- Prepare the necessary documents
- The trademark will be filed within 5 business day
- We will keep you posted on the progress & inform you when the trademark registers. It usually happens in 3-6 months. A digital certificate will be issued.
Any questions? Contact us at [email protected]
4. Other Services in Switzerland
☑️ Click to read about Trademark Services
Trademark Services in Switzerland
We offer the following services in Switzerland:
- Trademark Search - our trademark attorney will perform a detailed search in the Database of the Trademark Office of Switzerland to determine the probability of registration of your trademark in IGE: IPI Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property. The results of the search will be provided to you in a form of a trademark study, a document containing a list of all possible obstacles (if any) and the probability of registration of your trademark.
- Trademark Registration - this service includes applying for your trademark in Switzerland, receiving and scanning any legal documents received from the Trademark Office, updating you on the status of your trademark and forwarding you the registration certificate and being your representative for 10 years.
- Trademark renewal - Renewing a trademark in Switzerland includes taking over the trademark registration and submitting a renewal form. Due to some features of the Trademark Office of Switzerland it takes around a month to renew a mark.
- Trademark oppositions within 60 days from the publication date. After registration of a trademark anyone can submit an opposition against the mark. Please note that unlike many other countries, in Switzerland the opposition period begins after the registration. However, the process itself is similar to other countries.
- Defense in case of oppositions or objections/office actions in Switzerland - our experienced attorney will defend your trademark against any oppositions or cancellations. Should anyone decided to cancel your trademark, they will have to submit an opposition during the publication period.
- Trademark assignment, trademark license agreements - you may assign (transfer) your trademark when you sell it or the ownership is transferred to a new owner. The process is online and only a Deed of Assignment will be required
- Change of name/Change of Address - our attorney can update the name of your company on the Register and/or the address of your company associated with a trademark. The process is online and is completed within 1-2 months.
5. How to renew a mark?
☑️ Click to read about Trademark Renewals in Switzerland
Trademark Renewals in Switzerland
A trademark is renewable for a period of 10 years and valid from the filing date.
- A mark can be renewed within 6 months before the expiration of the current trademark registration.
Trademark renewal schedule
The price is 889$ for one class. The government fee is included in the price.
Trademark renewal process
Please contact us using the following form in order to request a trademark renewal. The process is rather simple, our attorney will become your representative and will pay the renewal fee.
How to apply
Documents required: We only need a signed scanned PoA (Power of Attorney) in order to proceed with the service.
How fast the process is
The process takes approximately 1-3 months, and a Renewal Certificate is issued.
What if the deadline is missed?
After the expiration date a grace period of 6 months is provided to the registrant to renew the trademark paying an extra fee.
After the end of the grace period the mark expires without any ways of restoration, a new mark must be filed.
Filing date: 01.09.2019
Registration date: 01.09.2021
Expiration date: 01.09.2029
The earliest date for filing a renewal: 01.03.2029
Grace period starts and ends: 01.09.2029-01.03.2030
Please be informed that the dates are determined to the best of our knowledge and we take no responsibility if the calculations are incorrect. We recommend that you contact us with an actual case in order to determine the renewal date with the highest accuracy possible.
If you are interested in any of these services, please do not hesitate to contact us.