Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Trademark Renewal Service

  • When you get a trademark, you should be aware that it’s not forever. Well, technically, a properly maintained trademark can last endlessly. But there is a catch: a registered trademark mark should be renewed every 10 years.

Renew Your Trademark Online allows you to renew your trademark online easily. Even better, informs you whenever you have an incoming renewal deadline, which helps keep worst-case scenarios at bay no matter how long ago you filed.

A trademark renewal application is a specific form confirming that you wish to renew your trademark and use it for another 10 years. As your trademark is a type of property, you need to pay a tax (government fee) to the government so that you are allowed to use your mark for the next period.

The mark should be renewed ten years after the initial registration date. In many countries, the timeline is not 10 years, but 5, 7 or even 20, but most of the countries, such as the United States & UK require trademark owners to file a trademark renewal every 10 years.

When you own a trademark abroad you must be represented by a local attorney, who will charge a legal fee for his service. The trademark renewal service includes filling out the renewal application in the local language and handling the process with the local patent and trademark office.

Cost of Trademark renewal

The trademark renewal fee is similar to the cost of getting a new trademark registered. While the legal fee for renewal is generally lower than that of filing for a new trademark, the official costs imposed by the relevant authorities are typically higher. However, one advantage of the renewal process is its significantly faster turnaround time compared to the initial registration process.

Assuming the renewal form is accurately completed and submitted, the process itself is generally straightforward and streamlined. At Bonamark, we take pride in offering our clients highly competitive prices through our trademark renewal service, available in any country worldwide. Our team of experienced attorneys is well-equipped to handle the intricacies of trademark renewals, ensuring that your intellectual property remains protected and in compliance with local regulations. You can find our trademark renewal fees listed on pages of the countries where we offer our services or in our Prices section, an example is below:

Renewal fees

The price is for renewing a trademark in one class. Additional fees might apply, please contact us to confirm the renewal price.

Provided that the form is filled out correctly, the process is straightforward. Our attorneys are able to offer you very competitive prices through our trademark renewal service in any country worldwide.

Whether you require trademark renewals in your home country or across multiple jurisdictions, our attorneys possess the expertise and global network to deliver exceptional service. We pride ourselves on our commitment to client satisfaction and will work diligently to ensure a seamless and successful trademark renewal experience.

For how long can you own the trademark?

Unlike patents, which have a limited term of protection, trademarks can be owned and maintained indefinitely as long as the renewal fees are paid. This provides brand owners with the opportunity to maintain exclusive rights to their trademarks for an extended period.

It is worth noting that there are numerous trademarks that have been continuously maintained and remain active in the trademark databases for many decades. Some trademarks have a rich history dating back to the 1880s or even earlier, showcasing the enduring value and longevity of brand ownership.

Our team at understands the significance of trademark renewal and its role in safeguarding your brand's integrity. We have extensive experience in managing trademark renewals across various jurisdictions, ensuring that your trademarks remain active and fully protected.

What are the required documents for trademark renewal?

When it comes to renewing a trademark, it's important to be aware that the requirements and procedures can vary from country to country. In many jurisdictions, you will typically need to provide a new Power of Attorney if you appoint a new representative to handle the renewal process. However, if the same representative who initially filed the trademark application is still involved, a new Power of Attorney may not be necessary.

It's crucial to understand that the renewal process is subject to the specific regulations and practices of each country's Trademark Office. Some offices may require the original certificate of registration to be physically mailed to the Intellectual Property Office as part of the renewal process. This ensures that the authorities have the necessary documentation to verify the renewal and update their records accordingly.

On the other hand, certain countries have implemented online systems that allow for seamless trademark renewal without the need for extensive paperwork or physical document submission. These online platforms streamline the renewal process, making it more efficient and convenient for trademark owners.

Please feel free to contact us for any trademark renewal inquiries or further information. We are committed to delivering comprehensive and tailored solutions to meet your trademark needs in different jurisdictions.

What if I did not renew the mark timely?

In certain countries, such as the United Kingdom and the United States, there is a provision known as the "grace period" for trademark renewal. This grace period typically lasts for 6 to 12 months following the expiration date of your trademark registration. During this time, trademark owners have the opportunity to file a petition to revive their trademark, even after it has officially expired.

The grace period serves as an additional window of opportunity for trademark owners to rectify any oversight or delay in renewing their trademarks. It allows them to reinstate their trademark rights and regain the protection and benefits associated with a registered mark.

It's important to note that while the grace period provides a chance to revive an expired trademark, the process may involve certain requirements and fees. The specific details, including the duration of the grace period and the procedures for filing a petition, can vary depending on the jurisdiction.

If you have any questions or require assistance with reviving an expired trademark during the grace period, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We are committed to providing comprehensive and reliable trademark services, helping you navigate the complexities of trademark law and protecting your intellectual property.

Can I change any details during the renewal procedure?

Even though it seems natural to amend your trademark when it is being renewed, this is a separate process and will require a separate request and payment. Usually, you can only delete some classes/products from your registered trademark. You can't change the details of the Owner during the renewal process. It requires filing an additional form. 

New logo on trademark renewal

You can’t significantly amend your trademark after registration. The mark will be renewed exactly as it is registered, even if you have a new logo. If you wish to protect your new logo, consider filing a new trademark.

Once a trademark is registered, it is important to note that significant amendments or modifications to the mark are generally not permitted during the renewal process. The trademark will be renewed exactly as it is registered, maintaining its original form and content, even if you have made changes to your logo or other elements associated with your brand.

It is crucial to understand that each trademark registration represents a specific mark as it was filed and approved by the relevant Trademark Office. The registration confers rights and protection to that specific mark as it was initially registered. Attempting to significantly alter the mark during the renewal process could potentially jeopardize the validity and enforceability of the existing registration.

If you have any questions or need further clarification on how to protect your new logo or make modifications to your existing mark, please feel free to contact us. 

Can I renew my trademark only in some classes/not for all products?

This is the only change in the application which is possible at the moment of the renewal. Trademarks are registered and protected on a per-class basis, meaning you can choose to renew your trademark registration only for the classes that are relevant to your current business activities. This allows you to maintain protection for specific products or services without renewing it for classes that are no longer applicable to your business. This way, you can save on renewing a trademark in classes that you no longer require. Additionally, in some countries, such as the USA, you must renew your mark only for the products and services you actually sell


Request a consultation


This site uses cookies to store information on your computer.

Some cookies on this site are essential, and the site won't work as expected without them. These cookies are set when you submit a form, login or interact with the site by doing something that goes beyond clicking on simple links.

We also use some non-essential cookies to anonymously track visitors or enhance your experience of the site. If you're not happy with this, we won't set these cookies but some nice features of the site may be unavailable.

By using our site you accept the terms of our Privacy Policy.

read more