Fill out our simple online form in just 5 minutes and a Trademark Specialist will contact you within 24 hours in order to guide you through the process. Our professional trademark attorney in The United Arab Emirates will prepare and file your trademark for registration at the Trademark Department. The entire process takes around a 4-6 months.
It is possible to claim class heading, meaning that it's possible to claim an entire class, not just some items. A separate application has to be filed for each class. The listed prices include all legal and government fees.
A legalized Power of Attorney by the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs is required, all the documents from non-Arab countries have to be translated locally by a certified local translator (the cost is not included in the price of registration request).
There are some exceptions in classes 32 and 33. Trademark protection cannot be obtained for alcoholic beverages. Also, trademarks for products in class 29 products containing pork cannot be registered.
Similar trademarks of the one owner can be protected together with the main trademark as associated trademarks provided that the main elements are similar and the differences are inappropriate.
Trademark Office in the United Arab Emirates
- Name of Office: Trademark Department, Ministry of Economy.
- Address: P.O. Box 901, Abu Dhabi
- Phone number: (9712) 6131 430
Office applies the current version of the Nice Classification, you can find acceptable goods and services in this link.
The United Arab Emirates have one federal Trademark Law which covers the 7 emirates of Dubai, Abu-Dhabi, Sharjah, Ras Al-Kaimah, Ajman, Fujairah and Umm Al-Quwain.
Trademark protection is obtained by registration. It can also be obtained by the extensive public recognition.
Extensive Search & Study
We offer a free online trademark search for availability in the UAE (including Dubai) - trademark lookup - online on this very page. We will check only identical or very similar trademarks and if you require a more detailed search - don't hesitate to request our Extensive Study.
There is no online database open to the public and our attorney will search for identical brands in The United Arab Emirates for you. We will provide you with a list of identical trademarks within a business day.
You can request our Extensive Study on trademark search in UAE if you wish to get more information regarding the possibility of registration of your trademark in the country.
Our experienced attorney will perform a throughout trademark search to determine any potentially conflicting brands in The United Arab Emirates. The trademark search covers Dubai among the other Emirates: Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, Ras Al Khaimah and Fujairah. The emirates maintain one trademark database which we use during our search. There is no separate trademark search in Dubai, the search is conducted in one UAE database.
Trademark Registration in the UAE
The United Arab Emirates are a member of WIPO since 1974. The United Arab Emirates is a member of the Paris Convention since September 19, 1996, however, is not a member of the Madrid Agreement or the Madrid Protocol.
Each year in The United Arab Emirates 5.000 trademark applications are filed by residents, and 10.000 are filed by foreign applicants.
You can access additional information regarding IP statistics in The United Arab Emirates here.
What is registrable as a trademark?
- combinations or shades of colours,
- three-dimensional forms,
- the three-dimensional form of a good or its packaging,
- any combination of the mentioned signs.
What will be required to file your brand in The United Arab Emirates?
- Type of the applicant: individual or a company.
- Complete name of the owner.
- Full address of the owner.
- Phone number - to contact you in case any action is required.
- Mailing address - to forward you the certificate once the trademark is registered.
- List of goods/services.
- Class or classes.
- Trademark itself.
- Power of Attorney (legalized by the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
Registration Procedure & Requirements
A straightforward trademark registration process takes 10-12 months.
Our attorney will file your trademark within 5 business days, after receiving the required documents and details.
The application process:
- filing a trademark;
- a formal examination;
- an examination of distinctiveness;
- a search for prior trademarks.
Signs not deemed distinctive in the examination can be registered if distinctiveness has been acquired by use or if there is a foreign registration in countries following substantive examination of trademarks.
Prior to registration, the trademark application is published, within 30 days from the approval, in the Trademark Bulletin and in two local Arabic newspapers, otherwise, the application will be canceled.
Trademark registration is valid for 10 years from the date of registration and can be renewed for periods of 10 years. If the trademark has not been effectively used within 5 years from registration, it may be subject to cancellation by any interested party at a court.
Trademark Application Fees
The official fee for filing a trademark application is AED 1,000 in one class. The publication fee in the Trademark Journal after acceptance is AED1,000 AED.
The registration fee for a mark in one class is AED 10,000 with a fee of AED 500 for publication in two local newspapers.
Note, that the price for a registration request does not include final registration fees (the price include the filing fee and the publication fees). The fees are paid only after the trademark is accepted (4-6 months after the filing date in case of a straightforward process).
The prices do not include any legal defenses in case of oppositions or objections, translations to/from Arabic and legalization of the Power of Attorney. The final fees may be changed by the government.
How To Order
- Fill out a simple online form at this link.
- A Trademark Account Manager will contact you within 24 hours.
- Prepare the necessary documents.
- The trademark will be filed within 5 business days.
- We will keep you posted on the progress and inform you when the trademark registers.
Any questions? Contact us at [email protected]
We offer the following services in the United Arab Emirates:
- Trademark Search (wordmarks only)
- Trademark Registration
- Trademark renewal
- Trademark oppositions
- Defenses in case of oppositions or objections/office actions in the United Arab Emirates
- Trademark assignment
- Change of name/Change of Address
If you are interested in any of these services, please do not hesitate to contact us.
🇦🇪 Trademark Renewals in the UAE
A trademark is renewable for a period of 10 years and valid from the filing date.
- A mark can be renewed within 12 months before the expiration of the current trademark registration.
- In the UAE we will require a legalized Power of Attorney in order to start the process. We will prepare the document for you and you will sign it before a notary public and legalize it at the consulate of the country, the document then must be sent to our attorney in the UAE. The process is rather complicated but we will guide you through.
- The process takes approximately 4-6 months, and a Renewal Certificate is issued.
Trademark renewal price in the UAE
The price is 2299$ for one class. The government fee is included in the price.
Trademark renewal process
Please contact us using the following form in order to request a trademark renewal in the UAE. The process is rather simple, our attorney will become your representative and will pay the renewal fee.
What if the deadline is missed?
After the expiration date, a grace period of 6 months is provided to the registrant to renew the trademark paying an extra grace period renewal fee. Contact us for more details.
After the end of the grace period, the mark expires without any way of restoration, and a new mark must be filed.
- Filing date: 01.09.2019
- Registration date: 01.09.2021
- Expiration date: 01.09.2029
- The earliest date for filing a renewal: 01.09.2028
- Grace period starts and ends: 01.09.2029-01.03.2030
Please be informed that the dates are determined to the best of our knowledge and we take no responsibility if the calculations are incorrect. We recommend that you contact us with an actual case in order to determine the renewal date with the highest accuracy possible.